Kind Friday

I wish I had a catchier name than "Kind Friday" but that's what I got so far.

Any suggestions let me know and it shall be considered.

One of my goals this year was to work in random acts of kindness at least once a month.

I'm upping it to twice a month on Fridays. The alternate Fridays will be Featurette Fridays where I'll have a story of someone interesting.

(For the record I don't need help with that title-I like Featurette Friday).

But first I have to share the love that I was shown this week.

Multiple times.

One of my sweet girlfriends who I used to work with dropped by my work with a surprise for no other reason than to put a smile on my face. She brought me a framed print of Dali's Apparition of Face and Fruit Dish on the Beach. 

My favorite piece by my favorite artist. Just to be nice.

The PA I work with called and heard my raspy voice and brought me in cough drops.

She did make me sing out "Rrrrriiiicccooollllaaaaa" before forking them over but nonetheless was super sweet to grab it for me.

And then while talking with one of my friends who always has treats and goodies available listened when I explained why I was cutting back on sweets and snacks.

I know listening doesn't seem like a kindness but it is. So many people dismiss what you say and then tell you "One won't hurt", "You know you want the cookie".

But she didn't and that means the world to me.

So kindness in. Kindness out.

My Random Act of Kindness was a small one today and spontaneous.

I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. So the fates intervened.

My mom and I were waiting to check out and made small talk with the lady in front of us. Her almost two year old was transfixed on my tattoo and I on her sweet smile.

She was checking out and was short three dollars. She was digging frantically throughout her wallet and purse apologizing profusely as the line was long. The cashier was talking to her supervisor about how she hadn't had a break all morning and you could see she was wondering if she was going to have to take something off the bill for the customer.

Before the lady could apologize again I handed the three dollars to the cashier.

Both the cashier and customer stopped and stared at my outstretched hand and the money in it.

The cashier asked if I was sure and stared at me like I had two heads.


I nodded yes.

The lady stared at the money changing from my hand to the cashiers'.

She started to say "You don't have to..".

But I cut her off. I've been there when I've had to decide what to put back. It's embarrassing and every second you're in line you feel the scorching stare of everyone in line hoping you would have had you're shit together and not waste their time.

I didn't want her to feel that.

I told her to pass it on when she could. And she surprised me by hugging me and my mom with tears in her eyes.

I don't know her name and never will.
But her smile reaffirmed that kindness was still the only thing I'm sure I believe.

Happy Friday all.

Pass on the kindness where you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

Thank You For Being Here

Not Where I Want To Be.