Featurette Friday: April 11, 2014

Featurette Friday is the name. Kindness is the game.

Typically, every other Friday I interview a person with the majority of questions focusing on kindness.

But why Jenn?

Because we see negativity every day and I think it is important to focus on the positive and remind ourselves that there are wonderful people in this world.

No matter a persons background, status, or creed I believe they have been shown kindness in their life and have shown others kindness as well.

And I would like to tell that story.

I met Lee Ann Wilcox back in 2008 when she decided to take a chance on me and hire me to work third shift at her gas station/convenience store. I was lucky to work for her for 4 years before committing to only working one job. During that time, I witnessed Lee help associates move up in their jobs, watched her encourage them to go to school, and take pride in both her real family and her store family.

What would you say your biggest accomplishment
in life is:

My biggest accomplishment thus far in life...my marriage. Randy and I have been married 26 years this June. Four amazing kids, 2 great grandkids and a husband that I love and admire more every day.

Do you volunteer? If so, why?

I do volunteer. 

I do it because...I'm not money rich.

(Laughs).

One of the most valuable things I have is my time.

I am extremely fortunate to have people in my life that have the means or connections to further help a cause. If I can use my time to put those things together to benefit a cause, we all win! What a feeling of accomplishment.

Best act of kindness you have received:

Best act of kindness I've ever received would be the "extra" paid time off that work has given me in addition to vacation time.

To be able to take care of family is beyond important to me. Allowing me the time to be with them..... I am very grateful.

What is the greatest story of kindness you have heard?

Greatest kindness story I've ever heard actually derived from a woman named Brenda that passed away from cancer.

Google her story-Brenda Cancer Letter.

To be so self-less.... what an amazing person. I should ever hope to be half as capable of that.

I took Lee's advice and googled the story-and what a beautiful story that was. The story was about Brenda, a lady who passed away from ovarian cancer in 2011. She trusted a friend of hers to deliver a letter to the local radio station once her husband had fallen in love again. The letter was a testimony of what true love is. The first part of the letter was her telling the new woman in her families' life that she loves her and then asked the radio station to pamper her with a massage & send them on a vacation. See the whole story HERE.

Favorite quote or motto?

Any day above ground is a good day!

Best act of kindness you've participated in?

I think it was more done as a group.

Several years in a row we adopted families for Christmas. The last year we did it was amazing!

We were able to take care of every member of that household, their entire Christmas wish list. They had no idea it was coming.

What a feeling it gives you to see the reactions of pure surprise and excitement on children's faces and relief on parents faces.

And finally, why is kindness important to you?

Why is kindness important to me..mmm never thought about is as a question before.

I personally feel good when I know I've been kind to others so maybe it's self preservation? (Laughs).

I guess because I've always thought that we all have to take care of each other. If all just a gave a little everyday, the world would a much happier,  healthier place.



This picture was taken at the Special 
Olympics of Michigan Polar Plunge registration event.  Lee helped take this event to a new level. 

A few years ago, two associates and myself decided to participate in the Polar 
Plunge. Once Lee got involved, she helped our small team of three grow into one of over a hundred and got our company and community involved. 

Lee, being her humble self did not mention that.  Nor did she mention, how she recently worked with the local 
Subways who were participating in the 'Feed A Friend Campaign', to donate any collected items that day to our local homeless shelter.

The Feed a Friend campaign by Subway is an annual event that encourages patrons to bring in a non-perishable item and when they purchase a six inch sub they will get one free.

Lee has a way, once she gets involved, that she gets everyone-family, friends, co-workers and the community involved.

Remember to spread a little kindness wherever you go. Until next time friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

It Was Me

How Are You....Really?