Tickled Tuesdays: Things Kids Say

Indecisively Blogging is kicking off this dandy day by hosting Tickled Tuesdays! Today is the debut day and the subject is: Things Kids Say.

I am not lucky enough to have kids running around. I would love to, but right now I have not been blessed with the best crotch fruits on earth at this moment in life. Maybe Mother Nature will allow me to have them once I stop calling children crotch fruit?

So I rely on getting my fix from hanging out with my friends' beautiful children or when I volunteer at the shelter in the playroom or when I do certain events like face painting.

There are some moments they have made me stick to promises I have made to myself and forced me to be honest with myself. Even though, they may be a little cringe-worthy, like the time I was having cake at a fall festival.

Too Observant Child: Miss Jenn didn't you say you were on a diet?
Me: Yes.
TOC: Why are you eating that cake then?
Me: Because it's a special occasion. It's okay to splurge once in a while.
TOC: (Purposefully looks me up and down.) Wow! You must have a lot of special occasions in your life!

And…then I put down the cake.

Sometimes, kids can be tricky. They pretend they are distracted and playing but are really listening to every word (you should not be saying) in your grown up conversation. I remember when my husband and I were first dating, he was 21 and his brother was 12. We were mocking one of our friends who tried to get to second base but failed miserably because his moves were horrid.

We then discussed the appropriate way to get to second base. You know with the traditional yawn stretch that lands the hand on the shoulder and in proper position to drop a little lower, to well, the cop-a-feel zone. My then boyfriend started 'practicing' that move and started to make out.
Later on that day, when their mom was home from work we were all talking about our day, my husband's little brother started talking about his day. I'll never be more mortified then the moment he announced at the following at the dinner table:

Mikey: "I know why Bubby likes baseball so much".
Mom: "Why Mikey?"
Mikey: "Chad got to second base today but from the hallway it looked like he was getting a homerun".


Oh, I had never been that red in my life. That was the moment I knew I loved his mom though because she never made a comment, she laughed and we moved the conversation forward. Bless her so much.

Kids can say unintentionally cruel things. They can be funny. They can point out poignancies in our lives that we never knew had to be pointed out. They can stumble upon really serious issues with simple questions.

But they can redeem themselves, in a heartbeat, because they can say the sweetest things.

When I was 15 I babysat for my neighbors' daughter Allison. Allison was 8 and seriously probably one of the smartest people I had ever met. Not one the smartest children, but one of the smartest people. She could pick up anything you put down. She loved math and science. She was athletic, and studious and sometimes too serious.

I had a particularly bad day and I don't remember why but I remember feeling crummy in my teenage angsty-ness. I do remember it was autumn though. I was at her house watching her when I could not hold back the tears, I started to cry softly and I went into the bathroom wishing my tears to stop.
She did not mention she saw me crying and kept watching Power Puff Girls.

When I came back out, I immediately started making her some dinner, something fancy I am sure like grilled cheese and soup.

She came to the dinner table with her Bubbles doll, and I was going to tell her no toys at the table but did not really feel like being mean. She slid her doll over to me and softly said:

"You can cry and take Bubbles home any time you want. She won't tell and I won't tell that you're sad because you are our friend and love and play with us when no one wants to ".

I may have started to cry.

She hugged me and told me, "You've always been my Bubbles doll because you listen to me and help make things better and I want to make you better".

I was definitely crying then.

The doll may not have been the most eloquent gift, but to this day it was one of the sweetest gestures I have been lucky to receive.

Every moment I get to hang with a child I am floored. They truly teach us everything we need to know about life. If they are curious about something, they do not censor themselves; they do not hold back they ask us what is up. And they want an answer. They only lose that once we teach them to not ask questions and settle for the status quo. We should all ask questions more often.

If they are upset they will voice it.

If they are sad they admit it.

If they are feeling loving, they will show it.

This no filter-thing and rawness they have going on is something we as adults should look into. It is a simpler, beautiful take on life.

I will always engage a child in conversation, not because it is cute and amusing, which it oftentimes is, but because I can learn so much.

Comments

  1. This was an awesome post! Thank you so much for linking up. I particularly liked the second base story. That was hilarious. Also, that is so true about kids being completely open and honest with their emotions. If only adults could feel as comfortable in their own skin as children do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great prompt :)

      And it would be lovely if we could get as comfortable as kids..even without the filter once in a while.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

It Was Me

Thank You For Being Here