Childhood Wishes

For every fire fly chasing,

side walk crack jumping,

fort building,

adventure seeking,

candy smuggling,

finger painting,

story loving,

not yet molded by society child:

I hope you stay a child.

That you do not understand innuendos and inappropriate references.

I hope you grow slowly and completely.

Not stunned into submission too quickly by outside influences only wanting to taste you and take your innocence.

I hope you never rush to grow up, that you savor the simplicities offered to you.

I hope you remember love and kindness and fight back against hatred and cruelty with the golden rule.

I hope you fall and fail and try things slowly and then all at once.

I hope you chase dreams and not love interests.

I hope the desire to meet new friends
never wanes.

That outside never bores you.

When you look up at the sky I hope you see a wispy rendition of a Picasso and not just another cumulus cloud.

When you see a foreign object way down the road, I wish you whisper
with a friend about the possible ramifications of the magic in our realm rather than see the discarded trash someone carelessly left behind.

When you hear someone begin to repeat a story they already have told you, I hope you react with the same interest and excitement like when you were four and you begged your parents to read you Curious George three times in one night, and never respond with annoyance.

I hope you never tire of asking why.

I hope you stay curious.

I hope you stay energetic.

I hope you will still sing loud and dance crazy in your pajamas.

I hope you never stop dreaming big.

I hope you still get distracted by beautiful sunrises in the dawning day and the stars shining superbly in the night sky.

I hope you concentrate on your
ambitions with as much focus you used on learning to tie your shoes.

I hope simple cartoons and comics will still put a smile on your face.

I hope you never forget to say the magic words.

I hope you still make homemade gifts, even if it is a macaroni masterpiece, because its your love put to task.

I hope you remember that the thing that truly heals our pain was and will always be love.

I hope your body grows old, your days longer, your heart fuller but your soul?

May your soul stay wandering and wondering, creative and curious, passionate and proud.

My hope, is your soul stays forever childlike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

Thank You For Being Here

It Was Me