Pinterest Challenge: GF Meatloaf

I love Pinterest. If you don't know what that is you're a lucky bastard that escaped one of the most addicting websites.

There are recipes, DYI projects (art,
sewing, jewelry, painting, quilting-seriously everything) exercises,
household cleaning tips, and so much more. You can get sucked in for hours looking for tips and ideas.

The way it works you create a "board" for whatever you're interested in-say
recipes. Then you can look up recipes
and "pin" them to your board so you
have them for future reference.

You can check out my boards here:
Jenn's Pinterest.

The problem for me, and probably other people, is that I pin and then forget it.

I haven't done a Pinterest recipe write up in a while and felt it was long overdue.

I've started gluten-free living on the recommendation of my doctor. People always ask how hard it is to stick to the diet and are surprised when I tell them it's not.

Really, it isn't. There are tons of substitutions available at your regular supermarket and tons of recipes that you can tweak to adhere to the gluten free lifestyle.

Todays Pinterest recipe is Gluten Free Mexican Meatloaf.

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground chuck (or whatever you prefer, I think this recipe would be great with ground turkey)

1 cup fresh minced white onion

1 cup minced celery **(I hate celery so I omitted it)

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

4 oz. Taco Seasoning

2 eggs

1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips

1 cup of colby-jack cheese

Sour cream

Shredded lettuce

Salsa

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a
loaf pan with either cooking spray or oil.

Combine the meat, onions,  cilantro, Taco Seasoning, eggs and
ground tortilla chips in a bowl and mix thoroughly with hands.

When completely combined, form into a loaf and place in loaf pan. Bake for 55 min. on middle rack, rotating once halfway through.

There was a recipe for spicy ketchup to go on top of the meatloaf and if you would like it here it is:

For ketchup sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Lodo Red Adobo

For ketchup sauce: Mix together all ingredients and
set aside.

After 45 minutes remove meatloaf from oven and coat with spicy ketchup mixture. Place back in oven and bake 15 more min.

I did not use the ketchup mixture. Instead I pulled the meatloaf out after 55 minutes and spread some colby-jack cheese. Turned off the oven and stuck it back in there to let the cheese melt.

While the meatloaf cooked I made guacamole and it took maybe 10 minutes to make.

Ingredients for Guacamole:

3 ripe avocados

3/4 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of salt, or to taste

1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa (or make your own or if you like pico de gallo that would work great too)

1/2 teaspoon of minced -really minced- garlic

freshly squeezed lime juice

Wash avocados and cut those green goddesses in half lengthwise and remove the pits.

Use a spoon to scrape the avocado
into the bowl of a food processor.

Add the salt, garlic and fresh squeezed lime juice to the avocado. Pulse the food processor until the guacamole is the consistency that you like.

I like it a little chunky myself so I don't let it get all smooth criminal on me.

Use a spatula to scrape the guacamole into a bowl and stir in the salsa. Taste it and make sure you like it, if not season to taste.

For the meatloaf remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.

I plated it and topped the meatloaf with some lettuce, tomato and a little sourcream.

Everything I used was gluten free. It was a simple and easy recipe that made my family full and happy for the night.

Comments

  1. hehe...I love Pinterest too! What a great challenge and delicious outcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

Thank You For Being Here

Not Where I Want To Be.