Secret Subject Swap: June 6, 2014

Hello, hello and happy Friday to you!

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap.
This week, 15 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and
were assigned a secret subject to
interpret in their own style. Today we
are all simultaneously divulging our
topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now
featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.
Sit back, grab a cup, and check them
all out. See you there:

Baking In A Tornado

Spatulas On Parade

Stacy Sews And Schools

Dinosaur Superhero Mommy

Juicebox Confession

More Than Cheese And Beer

Confessions of a part-time working mom

Someone Else's Genius

Sparkly Poetic Weirdo

Crumpets And Bollocks 

FBX Adventures (In Parenting)

elleroy was here

Climaxed

The Bergham's Life Chronicles

Evil Joy Speaks

My subject is You get the chance to
live out whatever book you choose.
Which one is it?

It was submitted by:  Stacy Sews And Schools



Stacy Sews And Schools, you are now my nemesis.

This prompt is too close to picking a favorite book and that is no more possible than picking a favorite breath you take!

I have fallen in love with so many books over the years, classics and modern alike.  Whether it is funny or poignant, satirrical or a biography, horror or calming, l've enjoyed the genre.

To read a book is to live it. From the moment you pick up a book and smell the words ingrained on the pages, to the feel the story progress with every fast finger flip of the page, to grow attached to characters you will never know but who will live in a special place in your heart forever-is to live out the storyline.

The book or more accurately the series I chose, was for many reasons.

I could have easily picked any book I have ever read, looked at and fallen in love with, but this series nestled its way into my heart.

The Harry Potter Series.

Orginally, I wanted nothing to do with Harry Potter. Everyone was so hyped about it. They either loved it or participated in burnings of the book.

(And may I just say how atrocious it is to burn a book? Shame on any of you who have ever done that. Shame. On. You.)

Whenever there is some crazy following of a book I get turned off. I am not sure why that is, I just don't want to be part of the main crowd I suppose. I would rather focus on books that I know and love.

Secondly, I thought it only focused on magic. I hate magic. There is just something that gives me the creeps about magicians performing tricks. It is as if we are paying people to lie to us and pretend to be entertained. I know they don't really saw the woman in half. I know they don't really float. I know its an illusion, I just get irked that I am not in on the secret. I was certain that the book would irritate me to no end.

And finally, I thought it was a children's book. I knew a lot of my friends who read it, but I still held back. Certain I would be bored with the all-too common story line of happily ever after.

Was I ever wrong. What a pleasure it was to be wrong.

That is exactly why we do not judge a book by its cover. Although, I technically did not judge the cover because I fond the cover art quite charming. It was all the other factors I let harbor my judgement and delay my enjoyment of a series.

I actually watched the movies first. The movie (The Sorcerer's Stone)piqued my interest enough that it forced me to borrow the book from my brother-in-law's friend.

I devoured that book. I maybe got up to pee twice but I stayed up all night reading the first book.

I was in love. Harry, Hermione and Ron were now my new favorite characters (Sorry Mister Darcy!), I wanted to visit Hogwarts, I needed to hug Dumbledore and I just wanted to see Hagrid.

After the first one, I borrowed the next two,and then bought the rest of the series within the week. The only one I had to wait for was the Deathly Hallows.

The books although they focused on magic, wizardry and had amazing imagery, also focused on loyalty, companionship, good triumphing over evil, and love.

Love defeating pain.

That's always going to win me over friends.

As the books progressed, the more serious the battle between good and bad intensified.

The losses became bigger, my tears flowed, my heart wrenched, my babies, my Harry, Hermione, and Ron were choosing to fight on the side of good, they were growing up, they were facing battles and pain that no one should go through.

It is a story that shows you that pain can grow you. One way or the other. We have to make a choice which way we let it affect us.

It is a poignant story of how forgiveness could truly heal if we just gave it an opportunity. It shows how bitterness and pain can destroy your heart, contaminate your soul and ruin your life if you let it.

It shows you, life will go on, no matter what.

So, the Harry Potter series, as nerdy as it may be (and I embrace that fully with a huge smile on my face) is my choice. Always.

“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”-Dumbledore

Comments

  1. Now I feel like I need to read this. I'm feeling inspired to read today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love when the reading bug bites. But then I never know what I want to read...so I overload myself with books ;)

      Delete
  2. i've never read the series, but have seen the movies...perhaps one day. I agree with you, so hard to choose just one book, I have feel in love with so many books and so many characters...to choose just one...gasps. You did great though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie it was hard. I wasn't kidding when I said I could probably live it all of them.

      Except The Book Thief. I would be a hot mess ugly crying and I would not be able to breathe.

      Delete
  3. I got unexpectedly caught up in the Harry Potter series too. It opened my eyes to the fact that if I venture out of my favorite genre, there's a whole world of really great stories out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I love that I got caught off guard. Surprises are nice once in a while :)

      Delete
  4. Robert just finished the series himself and that's way outside of his normal genre. he's trying to talk me into reading it, but I've resisted. Maybe I should rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until that point of reading HP, I guess I would have to describe myself almost as a book snob.

      In a weird way it opened me up to books I'd normally never touch but ended up enjoying.

      Think about joining the fandom-so nerdy, sorry...

      Delete
  5. AMAZING!!! I love this SOOOOO MUCH!!!
    I was the exact same way when HP first came out. I didn't get into until after the first movie. Then I devoured them! I still had to wait for books 4-7, though. LOL
    HP will always be my favorite, no matter what I tell my other books. ;)
    AWESOME, AMAZING job!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hard prompt. But I knew I had to pick HP , when a series can shatter your preconceived notions and make you fall in love (& hate-Umbridge) you have to show it respect and pick it :-)

      Delete
  6. Can I be in the same House as you? We can play Quidditch and study spells together! Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it's not Slytherin.

      And we know the sorting hat will listen to our requests so I think we could get in together ;-)

      Studying & quidditch I'm down for, but not going to lie definitely gotta have a butterbeer or two to unwind before anything else!

      Delete
  7. I have never been a Harry Potter fan, and I don't think I am going to become one. I just don't click with this kind of writing. But I love how the movie got you to reading and loving the books. Isn't it usually a disappointment, especially when you read the book before and come to realize the movie is nothing like you'd imagined everything?

    Oh, and Jenn, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great prompt about the walls that talk! I had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I'm enough of a fan for both of us ;-)

      Normally, the movies are disappointments. It's just hard to translate the intricacies of the book onto the big screen, I get the struggle but sometimes it just leaves me shaking my head.

      And may I just say you ROCKED that prompt lady! Seriously loved what you did with it!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read the HP books, but I have seen a couple of the movies. If I could be in a book, it would be The Hunger Games trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

Thank You For Being Here

Not Where I Want To Be.