Use Your Words Challenge: July 18th, 2014

Today’s post is a writing challenge.

This is how it works: participating
bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short
phrases for someone else to craft into
a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words.

That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them.

Until now.

My words are: firecracker ~ hot as
blazes ~ picnic ~ bugs ~ sweat ~
apple pie

They were submitted by: Spatulas On Parade.

As the days slip into weeks that waste away to months that simply fold themselves neatly into yet another year that has gone by too fast, I find myself choosing to live for me.

That may seem like a silly statement but there was a time that I worried more about what people thought of what I was doing rather than if I wanted to do it.

I would worry if they liked me, what they thought of me, how I could make them happy.

I would literally wonder how I could work at not offending anybody.

The more l tried to change myself or tone down my weirdness the more l felt like l was throwing away pieces of my heart for people who did not care if it was beating in the first place.

Thinking about that gives me the heebie-jeebies.

You know that disgusting feeling that creeps you out and makes you feel like bugs are crawling all over you, touching and sliming you up? That sick feeling when you try to swat them away and they're still there, and you have no clue where they've gone, where they've been or when you'll get them off?

Ugh.

Heebie-jeebies full force.

How crazy is it to live your life to try to please other people?

It is sad.

Life is too short to try to accommodate assholes.

No matter how sweet as apple pie you are,  how angelic you act,  how dedicated you are to your work-you will not be everybodys cup of tea.

And that is perfectly okay.

We are not meant to be people pleasers.

We are here to find the fire that ignites our souls. That fuels our flame. That makes us brim inside with passion as hot as blazes.

So bright and hot that it has no other alternative than to shine out of us, shine through us.

We exist to find what brings us alive and then bring that into the world.

We do not need more people who find off-key laughter a distraction or who advocate superficial beauty is the most important aspect in life.

We need the people who let love, passion, and independence fill their souls.

Those people who see obstacles and pain as a game. The people who see a rejection as a suggestion to 'try again'. The people who have no hesitation to put their all into their cause, their blood, sweat and tears, because they know if they don't give it their all, they are really giving it nothing.

We need the weirdos, the artists, the musicians, the purists, the hippie, the die-hard romantics, the people born with comedy twinkling in their eyes, the people who dare to question and postulate into the wee hours of the morning to simply be themselves.

People who do not care what others think of them but who focus on what they can bring into this world and how they can better themselves.

Whether it is for a career, being the change, making art, protecting the environment, fighting a broken system, family and friends, equality-whatever it is we feel closely connected to, what we feel we stand for, advocate for, we must choose not to hide ourselves.

We must wear our causes on our sleeves. We must be vocal and proud. We must let the words of those who judge us and not accept us roll off our backs.

Simply put, I have been done worrying for a while now if someone likes my attitude, my lifestyle, my job, the way my fat falls or the offensive idea I have that I have a right to be happy being me.

It is too tiresome to try to make everyone else happy not to mention impossible.

Life is not always a picnic. It can be downright confusing and mean.

People who you respect and love may sometimes tell you to be quiet and proper, not bring up certain things around certain people....or encourage you to be less 'you'.

I am begging you, do not listen to them.

Not because you do not love or respect them, but because you love and respect yourself.

Be true to yourself. Be honest, do what makes you happy.

Find others that enjoy the light you bring and who lighten your path when it gets dark.

Never censor yourself to please others.

You will only hurt yourself in the long run.

Accept that light that fills you to fill you to the point of almost bursting. When too many people tell you to change, to be something or someone else, do not be afraid to go off.

Let that pent up energy pop out of you like the biggest firework ever.

Show them how you can light up the night sky and make a big boom if necessary.

Scare them a little with the power you have inside you.

Be not afraid to be yourself.

You never know who you might meet and inspire by being yourself.

Thank you for stopping by at my first go at "Use Your Words". Please take a moment and see how clever the rest of these wonderful writers got with their words.

Happy reading!

Baking In A Tornado

Spatulas On Parade

Stacy Sews And Schools

Sparkly Poetic Weirdo

Confessions of a Part Time Working Mom

Dates 2 Diapers 2

The Bergham's Life Chronicles

The Sadder But Wiser Girl

The Momisodes

Someone Else's Genius

Follow Me Home

Crumpets And Bollocks

Comments

  1. Jenn, welcome to UYW!
    What a beautiful post. Your words are what I try to tell myself often. It's hard to not let others live in our head, but so worth it when we can live for ourselves. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele!

      It is easier said than done for sure but man does it feel good to only have us in our heads to worry about pleasing!

      Delete
  2. Great post about being true to yourself. I try to tell my kids that it's not about everyone liking you, it's not about doing what the majority do, it's about being you and finding where you belong. There's a community for all of us, we just need to find ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen.

      It is true though, there is a place we all belong, we just need to be brave enough to be ourselves and search it out :-)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful post!!!! I love this so much! We should all be ourselves and not worry about what others think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy!

      It's a great feeling when we focus on ourselves rather than what people may or may not think of us. It is a freeing feeling!

      Delete
  4. Woot! Time to let our freak flags fly! Hugsies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you Robin!

      And there is no hiding this freak flag....it's too big!

      Delete
  5. "Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good" - Charlie Brown
    Loved what you did with your words, and the message you sent! Very true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Oh Tamara I love that quote!

      Good old Charlie Brown to put it in perspective for us.

      Delete
  6. Such an amazing piece! Thank you so much for this message!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I have to still remind msyelf sometimes that I'm living for me and need no one elses approval :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo! You used my words well and girl, I know what you were saying. I have spent most of my life trying desperately to please everyone but myself.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn-thank you for the words and inspiration!

      At least we know we're awesome now and don't have to worry about pleasing people ;-)

      I tried but couldn't post on your blog but wanted to say I loved your story and that recipe looked awesome! It's on my to-try list now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

It Was Me

Thank You For Being Here