Use Your Words: December 12th, 2014

Hello and HAPPY FRIDAY -if you're reading this then you made it to today so huzzah for you!!! (Imagine glitter and streamers magically appearing.) Welcome to December's Use Your Words Challenge!

Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them.

Until now. (Dun, dun, dun!)

I’m using: Winter Break ~ White ~ Detergent ~ Crystals ~ Diamonds

They were submitted by: http://followmehome.shellybean.com ~Thank you!

At the end of this post you’ll find links to the other blogs featuring this challenge. Check them all out, see what words they got and how they used them.



As I stare out my window and see the murky browns and paling greens of the grass that still dares to show itself in defiance to Mother Nature I find myself missing the glimmering of the snowflakes that appear like diamonds and crystals that usually the winter sun brings by reflecting off the white freshly fallen snow.

This time of year we are normally bombarded with snow and ice and the only green we see are the sturdy pine trees holding up more snow and ice. This year is different and it is a bit unnerving. We have become accustomed to the storms, to the polar vortexes, to being snowed in and slipping and sliding. This reprieve, this delay in our winter has us on edge. We await one massive storm to bury us, to one up every other storm we have ever faced. It has not come yet.

That is life. We tend to wait for the bad; we tend to keep our minds occupied with worry. Instead of focusing on the extended blessing, in this case albeit it confusing and out of place for no snow or ice, we find ourselves preparing ourselves for the next big thing. The next big BAD thing-and how amazing is it much energy we waste by doing so.

There are things we cannot prepare ourselves for, even if we think we know what to expect. Sometimes that next big bad thing is so massive, it knocks us back into confusion, denial and a pain that is riddled with guilt that we cannot just move past. Then other times, it is our lack of reaction, our lack of involvement, our lack of compassion that we scold ourselves so harshly for that we take our own breath away and we feel like we will never breathe comfortably again.

The holidays are not happy for all. It can be an unfortunate time for reflection that brings up all skeletons and any and every pain people have ever endured and begin to overwhelm them. There is a constriction that can creep upon us, that strangles any good and positive feeling. Sometimes, the holiday hold no likeness to the fun and carefree days of winter break we enjoyed as children. They can be full worry and doubt, pain and pressure, guilt and anger and as much as we try to paste on a smile and pretend everything is fine it can eat us alive.The holidays sometimes are when our demons come out and challenge us to a mind-wrestle in ways they have never before. All of our short-comings and failures may come to light and blind us making us forget that they were educational stepping stones for us to build our lives from. We cannot stop pain from seeping into our lives, we cannot easily quit the addiction that is guilt and self-shaming, we cannot shut down our feelings and emotions-or rather we should not. We cannot pick at what time of year we get nostalgic or painfully aware of those we have lost. We cannot stop life-or death for that matter.

I wish there was some way I could make myself and others feel calm, feel refreshed, force myself to wish upon the shooting stars or four leaf clovers for some magical detergent to cleanse our minds that would absolve us from these painful moments. It will l come, eventually, time and experience has taught me that. I just wish it would come a little sooner.

We can however choose how we react. We can choose not to hide our emotions away. We can be real and honest and express ourselves to avoid painful, awkward outbursts. Or embrace the outbursts. We can allow ourselves to feel the pain and anguish or sorrow, and not feel guilty about it. We can embrace our feelings. We can choose to acknowledge that life is not perfect, that it does not go with the flow we want it to, that we may have all the pretty plans we want gorgeously mapped out but life will do what it wants, when it wants, with no remorse.

We should hold no guilt for feeling what we feel. We may need to be reminded that it is okay to feel down, to feel lonely, and to miss the people who meant the most to us. It is a part of life and we have to take it in stride.

Like this unexpected weather we are experiencing, I hope you, like me, attempt to stop trying to prepare for the next bad thing or anticipating things to go back to the way you think it should be. Instead, I hope you enjoy the days you have with those around you, even in the unexpected and awkward moments.

The bad will come, it always does. There is no preparing for it as much as we think we can so let us not give it any more power over us than necessary.

I wish you the best and happiest of moments with those you love this holiday season, but that may not happen, and that is more okay than you know. I wish you strength to deal with memories, overwhelming emotions, irritating relatives and friends, and unexpected emergencies. I wish you peace for the end of this year and that it follows you into the next. I wish you are able to process your emotions in the way you need to-and that if means if you need the help I hope that you are not afraid to ask for it (Suicide hotline: 1-800-273-8255- Alcoholic Anoymous- Narcotics Anonymous ).

Mainly, I wish you love in everything you deal with, everything you enjoy or mourn, everything you face and battle, I wish that love, patience, and self-acceptance and self-forgivness guides you and keeps you grounded.

Links to the other “Use Your Words” posts:

http://www.BakingInATornado.com Baking In A Tornado
http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com/ Spatulas on Parade
http://followmehome.shellybean.com Follow me home
http://batteredhope.blogspot.com Battered Hope
http://stacysewsandschools.blogspot.com/ Stacy Sews and Schools
http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/ The Bergham’s Life Chronicles
http://www.eviljoyspeaks.wordpress.com Evil Joy Speaks
http://www.JuiceboxConfession.com Juicebox Confession
http://eileensperpetuallybusy.wordpress.com/ Eileen’s Perpetually Busy
http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/ Confessions of a part-time working mom
http://sparklyjenn.blogspot.com/ Sparkly Poetic Weirdo

Comments

  1. Well said, Jenn. I know that those with anxiety often find themselves at their worst this time of year.
    I do hope that everyone is able to find some measure of peace, not just now but throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen so agree- I hope peace can find us all throughout the year and guide us when we need it most.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jenn… glitter and streamers, diamonds and crystals - can it get any better? What if not the image of this makes you smile even though the Holiday Blues strikes, and I know it can be a bitch.
    As always you have such a positive attitude and comforting words!
    Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had to know I had to throw some sparkles in there somewhere! πŸ’•

      Delete
  3. Jenn - I love this. I worry so much and you nailed it on the head. I do wait for the next bad thing or as I call it the next shoe to drop. I am learning to find peace and enjoy my day - stay in the present - and celebrate the good.

    You. Are. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to celebrate the good, even the small good triumphs!

      You are awesome as well πŸ’œ

      Delete
  4. Christmas was always a double edged sword when I was a kid. On one hand, presents! On the other hand, my mom always had a really hard time. She had schizophrenia and the holidays always made her symptoms worse.
    Thank you for reminding me that there are a lot of people that have it really hard this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to step back at times and realize there is no perfection and that we are all human and have different experiences and not all of them are jolly and happy.

      But they help make us who we are and give us characteristics we never knew we needed.

      ❤ to you this holiday season!

      Delete
  5. I struggle with worry as well. It can't be helped sometimes. However, a while back I heard about anxiety that 40% of the things that we worry about will never happen. I have to remind myself of that quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen that really helps put things in perspective that almost half of what we fret over won't come into fruition. I think that is good for us all to keep in mind.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Jenn. I am struggling this year, it is not a happy time for me but I will get through it and I will be stronger and better for it, just wish it wasn't at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a little rough in our house this year to get in the Christmas spirit too. We will get stronger eventually although right now may not feel like it.

      Love to you Dawn.

      Delete
  7. Jenn, I type through tears as this is so familiar to me. First of all, you were meant to have my words. In turn, your words helped me. I'm always waiting for that other shoe to drop. Your post reminds me to adjust that thinking. Thank you, for your positivity and hope. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words!

      It's hard not to wait for the other shoe to drop because we've conditioned ourselves to. I'm working on trying to take everything in stride-it's hard though. We'll get there πŸ’›

      Delete
  8. During the winter holidays, the number of people suffering from depression practically doubles. Stress=anxiety=panic attacks. I know that feeling, but Christmas, despite those downfalls, is still my favorite time of year.

    Last year, on Christmas Day, after all the presents were opened and the kids were happily playing and dinner was cooking, I found myself in tears. I had been so stressed out in the days preceding Christmas, I just let go. When the hubby asked what was wrong, through my tears I told him "I'm just so... happy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful when we feel comfortable enough to let go πŸ’—

      Delete
  9. I totally hear you. This will be our first Christmas in 3 years that we are celebrating. The others were too painful. Thank you for putting so many of my feelings into your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Carol! I am glad you are celebrating this year. Love to you as always πŸ’œ

      Delete
  10. There's is such beauty, truth, and realism in your words. I love how you weave them into something spectacular and sparkly. Beautiful post Jenn. πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

Thank You For Being Here

It Was Me