Use Your Words Challenge

Hello and Happy Friday to you!

Welcome to Use Your Words. Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them.

Until now.

At the end of this post you’ll find links to the other blogs featuring this challenge. Check them all out, see what words they got and how they used them. 

My words are:  paper ~ couch ~ freezer ~ Fan ~ peanut butter

They were submitted by:http://eileensperpetuallybusy.blogspot.com/ 

                           **

As you read this, I will be at my first therapy session. I am not sure exactly what to expect besides the cliched image of me lying on a couch while a therapist with a stone face listens and takes notes on paper.

I would much rather be sitting in my underwear eating nutella or peanut butter out of the jar and reading some trashy novel on my day off avoiding my feelings, my issues, and everything going on in this brain of mine. But I need to do this.

Am I a fan of therapists? Yes I actually am. I believe they have tools and resources to help us.

Now am I a fan of helping myself? Well...that's a little trickier.

I feel like a hypocrite-for a few reasons. If someone I know is struggling mentally, physically or spiritually I am there for them in a heartbeat. I want to see them flourish and live the healthiest life possible. When they poo-poo going to the doctor or therapist I am right there telling them to reach out-that there's nothing wrong asking or needing help. But when it comes to me...I would rather deflect attention elsewhere. I am content to reach into the freezer and pull out some icecream and avoid my feelings. I put on a happy face so I do not upset anyone. I hold in instead of letting out my emotions.

I know that is wrong.

I know that is unhealthy.

But that's me.

And part of a reason I am going today.

At least I'm taking that first step and acknowledging I need some help right?

                            **

Please don't forget to stop by these other amazing bloggers today and check out the words they got and how they creatively used them:

 Baking In A Tornado

The Bergham’s Life Chronicles

Spatulas On Parade

The Momisodes

Stacy Sews and Schools

Disneyland in Kentucky

Southern Belle Charm

Someone Else's Genius

Confessions of a part-time working mom

Climaxed

Battered Hope

Searching for Sanity

Eileen's Perpetually Busy
 

Comments

  1. I am so proud of you taking this first step. I too believe in therapy. But I also understand the reticence to focus on yourself. I'm glad you've overcome it and taken the first step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focusing on ourselves is a great step to improving ourselves. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  2. Good for you!!!!!! I believe just having someone that can listen can be a tremendous help!!
    I also know how you feel about trying to hold it all in. As wives and mothers we tend to put others before ourselves when in reality we should take time for ourselves so that we can better help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding it in doesn't do anyone any good. Definitely need to take time for ourselves-it's healthy and necessary!

      Delete
  3. Well, I am curious to hear how everything went down.
    You were probably sitting, and your therapist was making a compassionate face, and as for notes he or she recorded your conversation with a fancy device.

    I am so with you. Helping, supporting, encouraging others? No problem, I'm here. Trying to give my feelings a voice? No thanks.

    You are a great person for doing this! Respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual appointment went pretty well. Everything leading up to it...not so much. I was quite anxious, the receptionist kept telling me that my insurance was not active (it was she was just having issue with the system)...then right when we sat down the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the building. I almost used it as an excuse to boogie out...it would have been so easy to hop in the car and gone home or shopping...but I went back in and so glad I did. She was awesome and I'll see her again in 3 weeks.

      Delete
  4. I hope everything went okay and if you have any questions about things that you couldnt ask there about the process or limits of confidentiality, let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did. I was quite nervous but she was kind, professional and a little sarcastic (in the best way).

      I will definitely come to you if I have questions!

      Delete
  5. I've lost count of the amount of therapist couches I've graced with my behind over the years. I hate it at the time, but it always ends up being the best solution to all my problems. Well done for taking the hardest step. It can only go up from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I'm hoping to go-forward and up ❤

      Delete
  6. Kudos for taking the first scary step to getting where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooow, I love it! Enjoy the weekend honey!

    I invite you to join my worldwide giveaways:
    Jexshop 10$ gift card & Polka dots dress

    If you want to follow each other, please follow me and I'll do the same:
    My blog | Bloglovin | Facebook

    (っ◕‿◕)っ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you expressed what a lot of people feel and appreciate the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen so many therapists. There is nothing wrong with it at all - you are spot on.

    Congrats on taking the first step!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of you for taking care of you! I see a therapist weekly and have for three years. I'm hoping to go a little less often now that I've tackled a lot of my issues but also know I may not be quite there yet.

    Going is the first step! RIGHT ON!! I love how you spelled out your feelings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unequivocally Sucky. But? Still Going.

It Was Me

Thank You For Being Here